The Grosse Pointe Community Chorus (GPCC) was founded in 1953 by Dr. Malcolm Maclean Johns and Marian Johns.
Dr. Johns was a professor of music at Wayne State University from 1947 to 1982. There, he conducted the Choral Union and the Women's Glee Club, and taught theory, ear training and church music. He also served as Organist and Choir Master at Grosse Pointe Memorial, Old Christ Church in Detroit, and Assumption Church in Windsor.
Succeeding music directors include: Donald Simmons (1956-1964), Richard Johns (1965-1986), Evey Simon (1986-1987), Kathryn Rudgers (1987-1988), June C. Schultz-Zydek (1988-1990), Dr. Robert Wolf (1991-1995), Anna Speck (1995-2009) and Joseph Palazzolo (2009 to the present).
The chorus has been in continuous existence since its founding in 1953. At its first rehearsal on the stage at Parcells Middle School in 1953, 90 people sang. More recently, membership is in the range of 80-85 singers. Members come from cities throughout Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties.